Saturday, March 23, 2013
What's the point
The point of this blog, what is it? I am looking to make a course correction in my life. in the Book of Mormon, King Benjamin addresses his people before his death. He is speaking specifically about redemption, and he tells his people they must "...[put] off the natural man...", meaning they become subject to the will of God. God has prepared the Atonement for this purpose, but I believe the Atonement is for more than just sins. It is for any struggle. What are my struggles? I am looking for a way to escape disordered eating. What am I dealing with? Eating when I'm not hungry, and sometimes I even eat when I already feel uncomfortably full. I eat foods that I know are bad for me, and I eat more than I think is alright for my body. I treat my body like a trash can more than a temple. I exercise to compensate for the sometimes thousands of calories I consume in a day. I hide my eating; my husband is unaware of the extent of my disordered eating. I used to reject the extent of my disordered eating. I can now admit that my eating is out of hand. I am tired of going to bed feeling guilty. I am tired of promising myself that, "Tomorrow, I'll eat better". My second, all consuming struggle is my patience. I love my kids more than life itself, and I would love to have more. When I think about having more, or when I discuss it with my husband, we both brush it off, citing the same concern. I can't handle more kids. I fly off the handle as it is. I am proud to say that my fuse is pretty long. However, that fuse is embedded in a truckload of explosives. I am not abusive, but I am not proud of the tone I take with my kids. I yell at them like an army drill sergeant. I always regret it, and I turn around and apologize for losing my temper. My goals are these; eat to satisfy hunger and fuel a healthy lifestyle, and discipline my kids with love by using disobedience as an opportunity to teach my kids, not unload on them. In Romans 8:37 in the New Testament, Paul tells his fellow Christians, "...in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us". The Atonement can work for me in these struggles. That is the point of this blog. I will document my journey. I am hopeful that this record will help me to look back and see where I am successful and where I stumble. I am grateful to you, my audience. I can't do this alone, and I am grateful that you have decided to come along on this journey with me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment